The Santa Barbara police today finally release video footage captured by police officer Tudor’s patrol car's video camera during the controversial Oct. 21, 2011 arrest of D.U.I. suspect Tony Denunzio. You may view the video from the Daily Sound web story @
The release of the video comes one day after Santa Barbara District Attorney Joyce Dudley made the following announcement;
DA Won’t File Excessive Force, Resisting Arrest Charges in Denunzio DUI Case
The Office Cites Differing Accounts of 13 Witnesses
“The District Attorney’s Office will not file excessive force or resisting arrest charges related to the incident between Santa Barbara Police Officer Aaron Tudor and DUI suspect Tony Denunzio in the Loreto Plaza parking lot on October 21. While some witnesses said Tudor used excessive force in apprehending Denunzio, Chief Cam Sanchez came out in support of Tudor’s actions, explaining he believes appropriate actions were taken, and that sometimes police work isn’t pretty.”
During the last 41 days a lot sure has changed in regards to who would be investigated and what charges were warranted based on the events of October 21st 2011. Previously the police department had stated that there would be an investigation by the department, to determine if ‘Excessive force was used during the arrest. In fact the following Monday District Attorney Joyce Dudley told Noozhawk that she spoke with Santa Barbara police officers and her own staff about the incident Sunday and again on Monday. “It’s my understanding that once SBPD completes its investigation, all reports related to this incident will be sent to my office,” she said, adding that she hasn’t been told when this will happen.“ Of course as we all know now no type of investigation was every performed by anyone. At the time D.A. Dudley stated that when this information is received by my office, we will carefully investigate all allegations,” she told Noozhawk. “All of us in law enforcement take allegations of excessive force, as well as allegations of obstructing or resisting a police officer, very seriously; hence, we will treat this matter with the integrity and thoroughness it deserves.”
Of course as we all are now aware Chief Sanchez claimed that after his review of the video showing the arrest, no such investigation was needed. So than I must ask why was the District Attorney and her office informing the public that they were waiting on an investigation by his department? Now I have been told by several of MY FRIENDS in law enforcement that Chief Sanchez is circumventing standard police procedures AGAIN for an indecent of this type and that the public should demand a full investigation. I will of course be reviewing the video in full in order to compare the footage against what was previously reported by the media. I have so many thoughts right now but let me close with this.
If Mr. Denunzio was not charged with resisting arrest. Then where is the justification to use all the physical force as we saw by Officer Tudor?
S.B.C.C.C. The place where COMMON SENSE never goes out of style!