Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Something I did not know about Morgan Hill. The kids wearing the American Flag on there clothing broke the law, did you know that?

I have stayed away from the Morgan Hill issue because I feel based on what has happen in Santa Barbara and by our District attorneys office I would rather focus on matters in a different more productive way. How ever unlike most Santa Barbara politicians I have been bothered every since I found the news story below that corrects and show’s a portion of my view was incorrect. I felt a Fiduciary obligation that I must share what ever corrections I come upon on my blog with equal passion. To take this one step further later that week over two hundred kids marched in Morgan Hill with further concerns over there treatment, the kids being Americans with Hispanic, Mexican or Latino heritage. I am sadly much to busy to look further into this matter at this time but when proper time permits I will.
http://mantecabulletin.com/news/article/14116/
A Popeye moment in Morgan Hill

By DAVE CAMPBELL
Local columnist
POSTED May 7, 2010 2:38 a.m.

It’s about time.

On May 5, five high school students in Morgan Hill were sent home for wearing clothing emblazoned with the American flag. The talk shows and opinion pages are abuzz with indignation because the students were just trying to be patriotic.

Well, if they were patriotic then they were just plain stupid because the United States Code, Title 4, Chapter 1, Section 8, Subsection d states, “The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery.”

Every time I see the flag any place but on a pole, draped on a coffin or hung on a wall I just shake my head, including when it is on an athletic official’s uniform. It just doesn’t belong there. Subsection j of the above-mentioned code states, ‘No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations.”

No comments: